Marantz 2265 Receiver Repair And Restoration

This Marantz 2265 receiver is in pretty good cosmetic condition but has some issues.

I have removed the top cover of this Marantz 2265 solid state receiver to take a look.

I have removed the bottom cover. I normally remove the covers just to make sure the I don't see something before powering the unit up.

After powering up this Marantz 2265 I found that if I tapped the speaker relay on the power/protection assembly the sound would come and go.

This relay has a history of causing problems and after almost 40 years of service it's expected to fail.

I attempted to clean the contacts with a sheet of printer paper and deoxit. This was not successful and I ordered a new one.

I have removed the faceplate of this Marantz 2265 receiver. Any vintage stereo restoration involves a lot of cleaning.

With the faceplate removed it's possible to use deoxit on the row of push button switches that are just below the dial face.

I need to remove the plastic dial face for cleaning and to change the vellum paper. You need to slowly break the adhesive loose.

A nice bonus with the dial face removed is that the fuse lamps are now easily accessible.

The picture below shows the vellum paper on the back of the dial face that needs to be replaced.

The new vellum paper is on the left and the old on the right. There was a day 40 years ago that the old paper was not all yellowed.

The old vellum paper is held on with adhesive. Go slowly so that you do not damage the backing on the dial face.

This Marantz 2265 receiver will not need the vellum paper replaced again until it's next restoration in 40 years or so.

Deoxit products work well for cleaning the controls in vintage stereo equipment.

There is always some disassembly required to properly clean the controls. This Marantz 2265 solid state receiver is no exception.

With the tone assembly out of the chassis the tone controls can be cleaned much easier then if this assembly were still in the chassis.

With the tone assembly out it's time to replace those 40 year old capacitors with new ones that hopefully will last just as long.

This Marantz 2265 receiver has an intermittent problem on the left channel power amp assembly.

This issue involved the idle current going from zero to thermal runaway without warning. The toughest problems are intermittent ones.

After working on this issue for many hours I believe it was a cracked piece of artwork that was the issue. I put in a piece of wire.

After recapping, I reinstalled the left power amp into the chassis.

Working on one assembly at a time and testing out your work is always smart before you move on to the next assembly.

Now the right power amp assembly has been removed and will be recapped.

With the new capacitors installed it's time to put the right power amp assembly back into the Marantz 2265's chassis.

The new speaker relay and new capacitors for the power/protection board will be installed.

Also changed out the filter capacitors. The modern capacitors are physically smaller then the older ones.

A little mother's aluminum polish was used on the faceplate.

This Marantz 2265 receiver is looking better. I've reinstalled the faceplate and knobs.

Modern component test equipment has made it easier to figure out what components are good or bad in vintage stereo equipment.

Both AM and FM stations were off from the actual frequency and what was indicated on the dial. Loosen the 2 screws and move the dial pointer.

The FM tuning meter had to be adjusted off center to receive the lowest distortion signal when receiving a FM stereo carrier.

The FM tuning meter issue was fixed by adjusting the secondary core of the discriminator transformer. L201 on the schematic.

Don't forget to use some deoxit on those 40 year old RCA plugs and the speaker connectors.

It's time to do some final adjustments and then it will be time to put the top cover back on this Marantz 2265 receiver.

It's time for some music. This Marantz 2265 receiver repair and restoration is complete.